Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Buffalo Half Marathon 2010

After running a 5 mile race in November last year, my friend Camille talked me into training for a half marathon. She had already run 2 prior and was convinced we could do it, so I agreed. We started training in March and stuck to a pretty strict schedule. We ran 3 times a week...two short runs and 1 long one on Saturday. I'm not going to lie...it was really hard. We had lots of aching knees, backs, sides, and hips. There were so many times I didn't think I would make it. It was so nice to have a running buddy to keep me motivated and keep me going. I couldn't have done it without her. T.J. was really supportive as well. He was so good to watch the kids for me every time I ran. I couldn't have done it without him either.
The night before the race Cassie made us a delicious spaghetti and meatball dinner to load us up on carbs. The next morning I was so nervous that I was shaking all the way up until the gun went off. We positioned ourselves in the back with the slow runners and we kept a steady pace. T.J., Drew, Cass, and the kids didn't make it to the starting line, but caught us at mile 5. It was so exciting to see them and they were all dressed in red and gray "I Heart NY" tee shirts (coordinated by Cass and Dal). I saw them a few more times during the race, which really picked up my spirits, especially after mile 11. By that time I felt like I could barely pick up my feet but we never stopped.
As the finish line came into view, I couldn't help but get a little emotional because all my hard work had pain off. Just as we were about to cross the finish line Cass lifted Maura over the fence and she grabbed my hand and crossed the finish line with us. It was a cool moment. I had to hug my running buddy cause I couldn't have done it without her. I would have never thought in a million years that I would be able to run 13 miles. It felt so good to accomplish a goal that I worked so hard for.
Camille and I in our awesome marathon shirts the night before the race.


Getting to the race


Topher waiting to see mom



The kiddos


Our cheering section







13 miles baby!

6 comments:

Kris said...

You're freakin' awesome! I don't like having to DRIVE 13 miles, let alone run that far! Congrats, that is amazing.

The Favorite said...

WOO HOO!
Congrats! That is really quite amazing and way to go both of you!

gantrieb said...

WAY TO GO! That's SO great! What an accomplishment!

Mugs said...

Couldn't have done it without you either, Ness. You are the BEST!!!

Sonda Bryce said...

WHOOO HOOOO! This is still something I want to accomplish.I am so proud of you and for the record... you look AMAZING!

Unknown said...

ya! good job ness!! love ya tons!