Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving

My friend Camille and I decided to run the 114th Annual Buffalo Turkey Trot (an 8K race (5 miles)). I was hesitant to do it at first because I've never been a good runner. Even when I was young and in shape it was hard for me to run, but she talked me into it anyway. We started training the first of November and before we knew it was Thanksgiving Day. I was so nervous the night before that I kept waking up every hour scared that my alarm wasn't going to go off. We got there just as the rush of runners started. We learned that was going to be 12,000 runners that day (a Buffalo record)! There were so many people it took us a while to actually get to the starting line, but once we were able to get a little elbow room, we were off! I started out with a big 'ol side ache, but eventually it subsided and I was good to go. We had a good chat, and enjoyed the view and conversation. At one point in the run we were on a little hill and as far as I could see in front of me were runners and as I looked back all I could see in back of me were runners. I know I sound like a first time racer, but I totally enjoyed the whole experience. It was nothing like I've ever done. As we got closer to the finish line we decided to go for the gusto and book it to the end. I got big goose bumps as I crossed the finish line and felt so proud of myself for doing it. I never thought in a million years that I would be able to run 5 miles without stopping and have energy to spare. I was thankful that day for a friend who encouraged me to reach beyond my limits, and for a healthy body that my Heavenly Father gave me to run that race. I will never forget it and I will never forget the feeling of working so hard toward a goal and completing it.
Maura the Native American.

I got to help in Maura's class when they had their Thanksgiving party. The kids were all dressed up like Native Americans because they learned about the first Thanksgiving. We got to play all kinds of fun games and the kids sang some songs. It was so cute!




7 comments:

Unknown said...

how fun!!!! I am so proud of you that is awesome! I always say I would love to run something like that but I have never done it before. That is so awesome ness! And little miss maura looks adorable! How cute!

Mugs said...

Ness, you made me cry just now! It really was the best. You are the best! I never liked running with anyone in the past, but you have changed my ways. I don't think I can go without you girl. I will never forget our Mug/Ruby 2009 turkey trot and those goose bumps. Love you Nessa.

Corinne said...

You are crazy, I mean amazing! Congrats on such a big accomplishment.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

good for you ness!

CASSIE said...

I am so proud of you! That is such a neat thing! How cute is little Maura all dressed up!

gantrieb said...

congrats on the run, I wish I could have done it with you!

The Hoopers said...

Vanessa, I am so proud of you. You are my hero. I hope to get into running....someday :)